Upgrading - SME 7.1 to 7.2
The Upgrade executable is available from the following download link. Download it and save it to your SME5 program folder.
1. Go to your server or computer hosting the SME database. If you have a Data Server the update must be run from the Data Server and is launched from the Application Server
2. Browse to your SME executable folder
3. Test if all users are out of SME by attempting to temporarily renaming the sme5.exe to sme5.exe.old
--If you cannot rename it all users are not out of SME and the update will fail
--Once you can rename the executable – rename it back to sme5.exe
--SME must have Exclusive access to the database - see notes below
Should you require assistance High 5Software is available to assist with your MS SQL configuration.
Installing the SME 7.2 update
1. Log onto the server or computer hosting the SME database.
2. Log all users out of SME 7.1.
3. Close SQLink if used.
4. Do Start> Run> fsmgmt.msc to check open files - all SME files must be closed.
5. You can skip the stop service steps if you can reboot your server.
6. Do Start> Programs> Microsoft SQL Server 2005/2008> Configuration Tools> SQL Configuration Manger
7. Stop the MSSQL service and the SQL Server FullTextSearch Services. ￼
8. Your MS SQL Server instance name may be different.
9. Copy your database folder to a back up location.
10. Restart the ‘SQL Server’ and the ‘SQL Server FullTextSearch’ services.
11. Download the ‘SME_SQLinkUpdater.exe’ from the following link.
12. Launch the SME_SQLinkUpdater.exe by double clicking or right clicking and selecting Open.
13. Accept the license agreement and click Next
14. Browse to the location of your SME/High5Software folder and click Next.
15. You should see the following message. If you ‘Do Not’ see this message click the Back button and check your path. It MUST be the same as your SME/High5Software path. Your installation folder may be in a different location. You can locate the location by right clicking on your SME 5 shortcut and selecting either ‘Find Target’ or ‘Open File Location’
16. Answer ‘Yes’ to the message.
17. Select the Components to be installed:
18. Click the check boxes if you want to create the desktop and Quick Launch icons. This is not necessary for most updates.
19. Click Next
20. Review the following installation information. Make sure that the install path is to your SME 5 program folder.
21. Click Install if everything is correct.
22. The update will install. You will see the following indicating that the installer has completed.
23. Click Finish
Applying the Update
SME will launch and will open with the following message.
You will be prompted for the Update Password. Enter verify630 and click OK
You will be prompted to back up SME.
Click Yes to backup and SME will back up the database
SME will rebuild the library and begin to update.
When the database processing is completes click Done
The SME will update the tables. You will be notified that updates are to be preformed to your data.
Answer ‘Ok’ to the prompt.
SME will begin processing the data. You will see various info windows:
SME will perform the updates. This can take a considerable length of time with large data files.
Update will be completed when you see the following message:
Click Ok. Users can begin using SME 7.2.
Updating SQLink QBFC program
If you are using SQLink you will need to update the Intuit QBFC program
Download the latest QBFC program from the following link
This installer must be run on all client computers where SQLink is running
Notes: To obtain exclusive access
- The easiest method is to attempt to rename the SME executable sme5.exe to sme5.old.exe if you cannot rename someone is still in SME.
- The second most reliable way is to reboot the server. This will force all connections to the database to be closed.
- Alternate method is to run the following query in MS SQL Management Studio
- Open Management Studio
- New Query
- Paste the following into management Studio
ALTER DATABASE [dbname]
WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE;
ALTER DATABASE [dbname]
- Type your database name between the brackets [mydatabase]
- Click the Execute query button
- Close Management Studio
- Proceed with the update