Upgrading - SME 7.0 to 7.1
The Upgrade executable is available from the following download link. Download it and save it to your SME5 program folder.
SME 7.1 uses the Common Language Runtime or ‘clr’ for business logic processing. The ‘clr’ must be enabled on the server instance hosting the SME database prior to launching the update.
- Open MS SQL Management Studio and run the following queries:
- To check if ‘clr’ is enabled – if not enabled proceed to step b
SELECT name,description, value_in_use
WHERE name = 'clr enabled'
and value_in_use = 1
- If the ‘clr’ is enabled you will see the following in the results window:
sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1;
sp_configure 'clr enabled', 1;
2. Close Management Studio
3. SME requires exclusive access to the database while performing the update. To ensure that the database is available for exclusive access run the following SQL query:
ALTER DATABASE dbName
WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE;
ALTER DATABASE dbName
4. Close Management Studio
Should you require assistance High 5Software is available to assist with your MS SQL configuration.
Installing the SME 7.1 update
- Log onto the server or computer hosting the SME database.
- Log all users out of SME 7.0.
- Close SQLink if used.
- Do Start> Run> fsmgmt.msc to check open files - all SME files must be closed.
- You can skip the stop service steps if you can reboot your server.
- Do Start> Programs> Microsoft SQL Server 2005/2008> Configuration Tools> SQL Configuration Manger
- Stop the MSSQL service and the SQL Server FullTextSearch Services.
- Your MS SQL Server instance name may be different.
- Copy your database folder to a back up location.
- Restart the ‘SQL Server’ and the ‘SQL Server FullTextSearch’ services.
- Download the ‘SME_SQLinkUpdater.exe’ from the following link.
- Launch the SME_SQLinkUpdater.exe by double clicking or right clicking and selecting ‘Open’.
- Accept the license agreement and click Next
- Browse to the location of your SME/High5Software folder and click Next.
- You should see the following message. If you Do Not see this message click the ‘Back’ button and check your path. It Must be the same as your SME/High5Software path.
- Click Yes to the message.
- Select the Components to be installed:
- Click the check boxes if you want to create the desktop and Quick Launch icons. This is not necessary for most updates.
- Click Next
- Review the following installation information. Make sure that the install path is to your SME 5 program folder.
- Click Install if everything is correct. The update will install.
- You will see the following indicating that the installer has completed.
- Click Finish.
Applying the Update:
- SME will launch and will open with the following message.</span>
- You will be prompted for an Update password: verify630
- Answer Yes
- SME will install the ‘clr’ routines library
- When the routines library is installed you will be prompted to apply the update. Click Yes
- You will be prompted to back up SME.
- Click Yes to backup and SME will back up the database.
- SME will once again rebuild the library and begin to update.
- When the database processing is completes click Done
- The SME will update the tables.
- You will be notified that updates are to be preformed to your data.
- Answer Ok to the prompt.
- SME will begin processing the data:
- SME will perform the updates. This can take a considerable length of time with large data files.
- Update will be completed when you see the following message
- Click OK
- Users can begin using SME 7.1.