SME allows tracking of unlimited number of notes. This allows everyone in the company to track what is going on with the customer from a sales perspective, a customer support perspective, or just private notes on a record by record basis. Notes are everywhere within SME to allow excellent tracking of information.
Notes can be entered in the Journal Notes section or the Legacy Notes section.
Add User Note – Add a new journal note
View User Notes – View all journal/user notes.
View All - This includes notes that are generated by various system events such as logging from a mobile device or other system type notes that are automatically generated. These are never really added by users directly. Also, if your company has Auditing for SME, users with permissions can see all the changes to the record they set to be audited.
In this section you can view all notes entered in SME 7.0. You can enter notes using the previous note format here or start using the Journal Notes format.
User/ Journal Notes
Journal Notes allows you to enter notes that can be tagged by “type” and locked in once submitted. Users can enter journal notes with a note type, subject, and body. Once the notes are saved, they become permanent records.
Add Note Types
When adding a User/Journal note, you will be able to tage the note with a note type. You can then filter/sort your notes by the type of note. To add note types:
1. Go to Setup > Company > Lists
2. Click New in lower right corner
3. In Code Editor window, enter the note type and click OK.
Add a New User Note
View User Notes
You can view user notes on the Journal tab, click Notes > View User Notes, or Notes > View All
Click the Journal tab and you will see a grid showing all the entries. You can filter and sort by each column. Double click on the note you want to read to open the note in a new window.
Click either By Record or By Customer in upper right corner of tab to drive the notes showing on the tab.
Journal notes entered in a service order, install order, invoice,etc for the customer will show on the Journal tab in the Customer record. When viewing notes on the Journal tab in service orders, invoices, and other records, choose if you want to view journal notes by record, or by customer. By customer will bring up all journal notes entered for that customer. The source column identifies where the note was entered.
Click Notes > View User Notes and a window opens showing all user notes entered in that record. To view user notes for other records for the same customer, go to the Journal tab and click By Customer.
Note Type drop down not showing all values
If you added a few custom note types and they aren't all showing in the drop down field, do the following.
1. Click Help > Tech Support Utilities
2. Enter 833 and click OK. Your user profile folder will open.
3. Delete the Misc folder. This folder will be rebuild again automatically.
To add a new note in the legacy note section:
1. Select the notes button for the type of note you want to add.
2. Select New Entry button in the bottom left corner. This will add a time and date stamp along with the user name at the top or where the cursor is located. This also puts the record into edit mode.
- You can use the editor along with any of the editing buttons.
- You can also copy and paste from other programs such as word, excel, and others. Just select control-C for the information you want to copy for example in word. Then in SME notes select control-V to paste the information. SME will retain formatting of the information copied.
- If you type the same notes a lot, you can setup Common Services
3. Click OK when you are finished editing or select cancel to cancel your entry.
SME will allow editing of notes entries also. Click Edit at the bottom, make your changes, click OK.
Notes entered under Sales notes will show under the service/install order. Further Sales notes entered under Leads will populate throughout Leads, Proposals, Customers, Service/Install… etc..