- 1 Do I have to have all QuickBooks users out of QuickBooks when I sync SME and QuickBooks?
- 2 How do I keep my invoice numbers in SME and QuickBooks in sync?
- 3 Can I enter text and numbers in my invoice numbers?
- 4 How do I change customer job sites (move to new parent customer)
- 5 How are opening balances in QuickBooks synced to SME?
- 6 How do I add new technicians?
- 7 How do I enter a subcontractor?
- 8 My Non-Tax items in SME are going to the wrong tax account on the QB invoice.(Exempt)
- 9 Delete invoice, PO, labor in SME doesn't delete record in QuickBooks
- 10 If I delete a record in SME and sync with QB, will the record come back into SME?
- 11 When re-invoicing an order, I want to use a different invoice number
Do I have to have all QuickBooks users out of QuickBooks when I sync SME and QuickBooks?
No, you only need to get everyone out of QuickBooks for 3 scenarios:
- To do your initial sync between SME & QuickBooks
- Reassigning parent/sites (only do in QB)
- Exporting employees from QuickBooks to SME.
How do I keep my invoice numbers in SME and QuickBooks in sync?
Before creating any invoices in QuickBooks, make sure the invoices from SME are synced over to QuickBooks:
- Create Invoices in SME.
- Sync SME & QuickBooks.
- Create invoices in QuickBooks.
- Sync SME & QuickBooks.
To read in more detail, go to Invoice Numbers in SME and QuickBooks
Can I enter text and numbers in my invoice numbers?
QuickBooks allows you to enter text in an invoice number. However when those invoices are synced to SME, the text is stripped out. In SME you can only have numbers in your invoice number field.
How do I change customer job sites (move to new parent customer)
See this video to move customers as job sites under another Billable or Parent customer. This would be done in the case that job sites are first imported into QuickBooks and then you need to move them as job sites.
How are opening balances in QuickBooks synced to SME?
SME uses Invoices and Payments to calculate customer balances. Customer balances entered into QuickBooks will need to be entered as invoices, as they are when the Opening Balance is entered when creating a new customer in QuickBooks (circled in the image below).
If you enter an opening balance for a customer in QuickBooks, after syncing the balance will carry over to SME and show in the Customer record > Accounts tab> Current field. When payment is received in QuickBooks for the opening balance, the payment will sync to SME and the amount in the Customer record > Accounts tab > Current field will be reduced by the payment amount.
If the opening balance is entered as a GL transaction, it will not sync properly with SME.
How do I add new technicians?
If you are syncing with QuickBooks, you must add new technicians as an Employee in QuickBooks and sync with SME. The Employeee will sync to SME as a User. The User record will default to a Technician.
1. Set QB to Single User Mode
2. Add the new employee in QuickBooks
3. Sync SME and QuickBooks
If you already added the employee to QB and a sync has been processed but the employee is not in SME, do the following:
1. Edit the employee in QB, make a minor change to the address to force QB to reset the modified flag
2. Put QB in Admin/Single User
3. Run a sync
How do I enter a subcontractor?
In SME, a subcontractor is a vendor with the "Is Subcontractor" checkbox checked. QuickBooks will not let us export a Vendor to QuickBooks as a subcontractor.
1. Add vendors in QB
2. Sync to SME
3. Set as Subcontractor in QB & SME (In SME, check "Is Subcontractor" in the vendor record on the Details and Settings tab as shown in image below)
Map (assign) accounts and thresholds to 1099 categories
My Non-Tax items in SME are going to the wrong tax account on the QB invoice.(Exempt)
This is an issue from the QB Sales Tax List, in QB, under Lists> Sales Tax Items. The order of the codes determines what get’s selected on the invoice. We’re only allowed to pass Tax/Non Tax and QB picks from that list. If yours looks like this:
And ‘EXE’ is the first ‘non’ tax item in the list then, Non Tax items from SME will be listed as ‘EXE’.
If your list looks like this:
Then your non tax items will be listed as ‘NON’
I’ve had customers change that to XMT, to move it to the bottom of the list, and then it will flow correctly for items on the invoice. One of the anomalies of syncing applications.
Delete invoice, PO, labor in SME doesn't delete record in QuickBooks
If you delete an invoice in SME and the invoice already synced to QuickBooks, you will need to delete the invoice in QuickBooks.
If you delete a PO in SME and the PO synced to QuickBooks already, you will need to delete the PO in QuickBooks.
If you delete labor item in SME and the timesheet already synced to QuickBooks, you will need to delete the timesheet labor entry in QuickBooks.
If I delete a record in SME and sync with QB, will the record come back into SME?
If you have a synced record that is in SME and in QB and you delete the record in SME, the record will stay in QB only unless the record gets edited in QB. If the record is edited in QB it will come back into SME.
Note: If you set the record as inactive in SME it will go inactive in QB which is the preferred method.
When re-invoicing an order, I want to use a different invoice number
When you invoice an order, SME will put the invoice number on the totals tab. If you rollback the invoice and invoice the order again, SME will use the same invoice number on the next invoice. To use a different invoice number, click the Reset button circled below.