Time Tracker for SME
Back to SME Add-On Guides
- 1 What is Time Tracker for SME?
- 2 Features
- 3 Benefits
- 4 System Requirements
- 5 Setup
- 6 Entering Time on Service or Install Orders
- 7 Reviewing Time Entered and Submitting Time
- 8 Approving Time
- 9 Payroll Tab
- 10 Syncing Time Entries to QuickBooks Timesheet
- 11 Actual Costs and Time Tracking Costs
What is Time Tracker for SME?
Time Tracker is a cloud based application which is accessible on any device with an internet connection. It allows workers to record their time in the field, the type of time or service they are providing and any extra expenses they might incur. Supervisors use Time Tracker to track their employees’ work, alter time sheet entries, verify completed time sheets and initiate payments for time on the job. All of this information is automatically synced with SME.
Increase Billable Hours
- Captures all chargeable time and related expenses at the point of service when it is most easily remembered.
- Field data entered is automatically pushed to SME software keeping the field and office operations fully synchronized.
- Supervisors can edit and verify time sheets from their own device while in the field or back at the office
- Time tracker can be accessed on any computer with an internet connection. Log your hours from the field or from the office.
DOL and DCAA Compliant
- Time Tracker ensures that your time sheets are in compliance with government regulations so you can focus on your business.
Time Sheet Automation
- Increase the efficiency of your time tracking and payroll operations by 10 times with a simple, highly automated user interface.
Track GPS Location of Time In and Out
- Verify location when techs time in and out of Time Tracker or Mobile Tech for SME. This promotes honest time in/out or allows auditing of locations. See Location Settings for information on how to setup location for various browsers.
Your employees are able to log their time in from the field, giving you more accuracy than post-recorded time entries. You can have all of your employees at the office clock in and out to assist with streamlining the payroll process. GPS tracking can tell you where and when your techs arrived, as well as where and when they time out of a job (Know immediately how much a job is actual costing you). Everything is automatically attached to SME labor items, so the actual time worked on a job can be easily compared against scheduled and billed time for an order.
SME web-services installed/running live.
SME version 8.0..41+
Desktop: Firefox, Chrome, or Safari
Mobile: Android and Iphone tested
Assign User Names
Each technician that will be entering time will need a username and password. Click here to review how to assign User Names:
SME Mobile Master - Assign User Names
Assign Users to a Supervisor
A supervisor will have the ability to enter time and approve time for anyone they are supervisor of. They also can approve or enter time for anybody that people they supervise supervise.
In the example illustrated below, Bob Fieldguys supervises CindyM and Jim Boss. He can enter or approve time for both CindyM and Jim Boss. Jim Boss supervises Abe Tech. Abe Tech Supervises Charlie Engineer. Bob Fieldguys can enter or approve time for Abe Tech and Charlie Engineer as well.
Setup Labor Defaults
Make sure the technician has their default service item and payroll items set. The payroll item is what will drive the actual cost for the time entered.
This page shows how the labor defaults work: Labor Editor Defaults
Create payroll items and assign techs:
- Utilities > Utilities
- Payroll/Wage Items and click Run It
- In window that opens, either search for an existing payroll item you want to use or click New to create a new one
- Make sure your techs are added to the payroll item by clicking Add From Techs.
- Enter in the cost for the payroll item in the Wage Amount column (image below)
Assign default payroll item to techs
- Go to Setup > Users
- Search for your tech
- Click the Technician Settings tab
- Choose their Default Payroll Item (image below).
When the techs are entering time in Time Tracker, this will be their default cost per hour. They would have the ability to change the time they are entering to any other payroll item that they are added to. For Cindy, she has been added to payroll items of “Regular” and “Overtime”. These are her two options when entering time.
Timesheet Manager in SME User Group
For any user that will need to approve to pay the approved time and print reports for time, they will need to be set to a user group in SME that has Timesheet Manager checked.
To edit the user group in SME:
- Open SME
- Go to Setup > Company > Users Groups
- Search for the correct User Group
- Click the Administrative Clearances tab
- Click Edit and check Timesheet Manager
Entering Time on Service or Install Orders
Log in to SME Mobile at m.high5software.com
Click the Time Tracker option
In Time Tracker you will see the “Daily” tab. This is where you will select the day you are entering time for, select the service or install order you are entering time for, and either start the timer or manually add time.
If you choose to use the timer in the Start/Add Time section, you will need to click Start. You will see the time tracked. Click Stop Order #____
After stopping the clock, you will see the time entry (image below)
If you choose to click Add Entry
Click ￼ to enter the time
If you enter time on the wrong work order, you can't delete the entry but will need to change the hours to 0.
Reviewing Time Entered and Submitting Time
Weekly Tab in Time Tracker
On the Weekly tab you can review your newly entered time, submitted time, approved time and paid time. Make sure you have the correct week selected and the correct tech at the top.
Labor Item in SME - Time Tracker Tab
The time entered by your tech will also show on the service or install order in SME.
When you go to Order # 1024 in SME you will see a Labor Item added to the order
Open the labor item and click the Time Tracking tab (image below)
On the Time Tracking tab, you will see the Start Time, Stop time, Total Time and more. This entry is from the Time tracker entry.
If you want to charge your customer for actual time of labor, choose the Billing Status you have setup for Billing equal Actual.
To setup a billing status to set the Billing Qty equal to the actual qty for time:
- Go to Setup > Company
- Select Lists
- Select Billing Status
- Click New in lower right corner
- Enter name such as “Billing equals Actual” and check “Set Billable Hours to Actual Hours”
If you are a supervisor, when you go to the approve tab select the tech you need to review time for. In this example Bob Fieldguys can review time for several techs.
Choose the correct date for Week Starting in upper left corner.
Review the time. You can click the X button on individual time entries to send them back to the tech. The time will appear in the tech’s New list. They would need to resubmit the time.
Click Approve at the bottom to approve all time. Click Refuse at the bottom to refuse all time.
Here is an example of the Tech Timesheet:
Here is an example of the Weekly Timesheet showing time grouped by work order and daily time.
Syncing Time Entries to QuickBooks Timesheet
If you need to sync time entries to QuickBooks timesheets, you need to decide which option works for you.
- To set your option, open SQLink
- Click File > Setup
- Locate the Transfer Tech Time section (image below)
Check Actual Time Only. Actual time is the time entered through Time Tracker.
Choose if you want to sync time that was Submitted, Approved or Payrolled to export to QB. If you are syncing “submitted” time, then you don’t need to go through the process of approving time in Time Tracker.
Manual Flag Only means you have to check on the labor editor which time entries sync.
Always Export will always export new time entries regardless of status.
Update to Payrolled after export - the Payrolled check on the Time Tracking tab will get checked once the time is synced to QuickBooks.
Actual Costs and Time Tracking Costs
Using Mobile Tech for SME and Time Tracker will also track the actual costs on the work order. The costs are captured "smartly" based on the settings within SME. Understanding how SME calculated the actual costs with help in the setup of Payroll Wage or Service items.
The order that SME determines the hourly cost for the time tracking entered is as follows in order:
- Initialize with Wage cost of the Tech.
- Override with payroll, if payroll item selected. Note that the payroll item is set based on the tech default payroll item or can be manually set in Time Tracker for SME.
- Override with service if service item selected and (system settings to override, or tech is subcontractor)
Example with option for "Override payroll cost from service item on labor records":
- With this option unchecked it will use the tech default payroll item.
- In this example, Bob Fieldguy default payroll item is "Union Time"
- The payroll item can have different costs per tech. In this example Bob has a fully loaded cost of $48.00 per hour.
- When time is added through Mobile Tech it will automatically select the Union payroll item and set cost to $48.00 per hour.
- Here is the service item for "Hourly"
- Check "Override payroll cost from service item on labor records"